Each year, the Department offers a planning workshop to provide graduate students with training in planning practice. The planning workshop also serves an outreach function by connecting communities across Wisconsin with the resources of the University for addressing applied planning problems.
- Fall 2013: Freeport
- Fall 2012 - Renewable Energy Economic Opportunity Assessment
- Fall 2011 - Assessing the Renewable Energy Opportunity in Southwest Wisconsin
- Fall 2010 - Wisconsin Statewide Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan
- This workshop had four teams working on elements of the 2011-2016 Wisconsin Statewide Comprehensive Recreation Plan (WiscSCORP).
- For more information, see our Fall 2010 Planning Workshop Webpage.
- Fall 2009 - Sustainable Madison Community
- Learn what other communities around the country are doing about sustainability: Slideshow
- Fall 2008: Madison, Wisconsin: Northeast Neighborhood Development Plan
- Fall 2007: Jefferson County Farmland Preservation Report (led by Professor Kurt Paulsen)
- Fall 2006: Village of Norwalk, Strategic Action Plan
- Fall 2005:
The 2005 Fall Workshop included two separate projects – one dealing with open space and land use planning in Jefferson County and the other dealing with recreation planning in Superior. Follow the links below to read more about each individual project.
- Jefferson County
Parks, Recreation and Open Space Planning in Jefferson County: Socio-economic and Physical Design Elements
Recreation Planning for Whiteside Island and the Superior Municipal Forest: An Assessment of Economic and Fiscal Impacts
- Spring 2004: EcoPlanIT Madison: An Ecological Blueprint for the City of Madison, WI (note: as of August 2015, currently down for construction)
- Spring 2003: Developing a Model "Smart Code" for Dane County
- Spring 2002: Dane County Planning Workshop Commuter Rail in Dane County: Analysis and Planning for Transit Oriented Development
- Spring 2001: Towns of Brothertown and Stockbridge, Calumet County Workshop Integrating Environmental Planning and Policy into a Local Land Use Process
- Spring 2000: City of Lodi Planning Workshop: Lodi Vision 2025, and A Development Impact Assessment of a proposed development in Lodi
- Spring 1999: Town of Verona Planning Workshop Development Impact Assessment
- Spring 1998: Columbia County: County wide comprehensive and growth management planning
- Spring 1998: Village of Twin Lakes: Comprehensive planning